Even while writing this e-mail, the system 'froze' several times.

Bas G. Roufs - En. basroufs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 12:34:46 UTC 2013

Hello Errol and Everybody.

On Thursday 06 June 2013 14:15:15 Errol Sapir wrote:
> Hi Bas
> I have been having the same problem as you. My "freezing" is not as
> frequent as yours. Mine happens maybe once or twice a day, and sometimes
> goes for days without "freezing".

Do you still have this problem sometimes?
In my case, I sometimes have quite frequently this problem - like today, in
other days, I have it once, twice or not at all. So, the pattern is quite
irregular.

> My computer is desktop not a laptop.
> When I brought up the subject many months ago (I think on the "official"
> Kubuntu forum) most people tried to steer me in the direction of a
> computer problem (memory or hard drive, etc.)

I have wiped off the WIN 7 system that came with my laptop. In a few cases, I
run WIN 7  within a virtual environment inside Kubuntu.  However it may be -
the laptop I am working with is about 1 year old and has quite good specs - HP
Pavilion dm 1 with an HD of 500 GB, an AMD Dual Core processor of 1,66 GHz,
Internal RAM Memory of 4 GB. To be honest, I cannot imagine it is a purely
hardware problem.

> The only reason I doubted
> that analysis was the fact that in Windows 7 (my computer dual boots)
> there was no problem. Only with Kubuntu 12.10 and now 13.04 do I have
> the problem.

At the Ubuntu user forum, I have seen a one or a few reports about similar
problems.

> I haven't contributed much if finding the problem but at
> least I now know that I am not alone and maybe the problem isn't with my
> computer but with Kubuntu. If you find anything Kubuntu related please
> keep me informed.

I will do so, via this forum.

Respectfully yours.

Bas.

--
Bas G. Roufs MA
Van 't Hoffstraat 1; NL - 3514 VT Utrecht