Any way to get a new Asus netbook or tablet without Windows?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 24 18:08:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-24 13:35 (GMT-0400) Jerry Lapham composed:

> Bas Roufs wrote:

>> has anybody any experience how to get a Asus Netbook without Windows?

> In my experience Windows has a negative value - that is buying a computer
> without Windows is more expensive than one with it pre-installed.  That leaves
> two options:

> 	1. Reformat the disk and wipe it out.

> 	2. Shrink the Windows partition(s) to just large enough to run it and add
> one or more Linux partitions.  That way when you do encounter a Windows app
> you need to run that doesn't work under Wine, you can boot Windows.

3. Use the Windows create [recovery,installation] media utility to enable
re-installing Windows, then do whatever you please with the partitioning.
When you get tired of the tiny screen and keyboard, recover/install, and eBay
or Craigslist as "like new", "barely used".

4. Remove its storage media. Install another. When you get tired of the tiny
screen and keyboard, reverse the process, and eBay or Craigslist as "like
new", "barely used".

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/