Any way to get a new Asus netbook or tablet without Windows?

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Wed Jul 24 17:50:24 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 01:35:25 PM Jerry Lapham wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 08:45:25 AM Bas Roufs wrote:
> > has anybody any experience how to get a Asus Netbook without Windows?
>
> In my experience Windows has a negative value - that is buying a computer
> without Windows is more expensive than one with it pre-installed.  That
> leaves  two options:
>
>         1. Reformat the disk and wipe it out.
>
>         2. Shrink the Windows partition(s) to just large enough to run it
> and add  one or more Linux partitions.  That way when you do encounter a
> Windows app you need to run that doesn't work under Wine, you can boot
> Windows.
>
>         -Jerry

I have also found this to be true...   In particular, I found that comparing
the same laptop with/without Windows  showed that the Windows machine came
with more hardware (memory, disk space, etc) than the non-windows machine  for
the same or less money.

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit
salad. "