4 monitors 2 Adapters....

Michael themjwok at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:54:25 UTC 2013

Howdy,

First hardware:

2 x AMD HD6970s
4 x Monitors

I'm running Kubuntu 12.10 with the proprietary AMD drivers.

I've been running 3 monitor off the 1 card with no hassles (essentially
I can maximise windows on a single display) but adding the 4th monitor
on the second card cause a world of pain. I end up with a multi-display
desktop on the 3 displays attached to the 1st adapter when I configure
the 4th (when I maximise a window it stretches across all 3 displays ...
5760 x 1080 is a productive size :D). To access the 4th display I've
used Ximera (but this seems to cause the mouse pointer to be magnified
when it interacts the KDE apps or just hovers over text in Chromium etc
- the AMD drivers aren't of the highest quality).

The ideal setup would be:
 - a set of virtual desktops on the 3 monitors attached to one adapter
with 3 1920x1080 workspace as I have now, and
 - separate virtual desktops on the 2nd adapter.
 - I'd like to be able to switch virtual desktops on one adapter without
changing them on the 2nd adapter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael