DNS Resolution not working

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 26 15:39:07 UTC 2013

OpenDNS would not have solved the issue as it had to have been something in the caching of naming data that got screwed up.

The solution I earlier posted - editing /etc/nsswitch.conf to remove [NOTFOUND=return] from the hosts line temporarily - resolved the issue entirely;
why I don't know, I'm just guessing it reset some cache somewhere in the system. No amount of restarts did anything.

Ben