Quantal 12.10 and upgrade to KDE 4.11

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 06:44:30 UTC 2013

Being on Kubuntu Quantal 12.10 and using KDE 4.10.5 from the backports
ppa I am trying to upgrade to KDE 4.11 from said ppa.

However, the upgrade either wants to pull in God knows how many "kde
unrelated" packages, see below:
"316 packages upgraded, 573 newly installed, 16 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
Need to get 2 051 MB of archives. After unpacking 4 455 MB will be used"

An upgrade on another computer with 12.04 Precise went without a glitch.
I have no idea why my primary system wants to pull in packages like
"ant", apparently something java-related, and 572 other packages of all
kinds.

Has anyone made the upgrade on Quantal and managed or do I need to back
down to Precise or is it my system that has "something weird" that I
need to figure out?

Any input is most welcome!

Kind regards
Sinclair