problems with full-screen mode with multiple monitors in 12.10 (worked in 12.04)

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Nov 12 00:51:39 UTC 2012

in 12.04 when and app went to full-screen mode, it stayed on the monitor that it
started on.

for example, if the app started on an external monitor/projector attached to a
laptop, the full-screen display ended up on the external monitor/projector.

in 12.10, the full-screen display now ends up on the primary monitor only, no
matter where the app started.

This behavior started for me sometime during the 12.04 ->12.10 development
cycle, but since I update frequently, started running the 12.10 beta (or was it
alpha) early, and run the aurora version of firefox, I can't say at this point
exactly when the problem started.

I initially ran into it with flash videos (which is another part of the reason
for not reporting it immediatly), but have since run into it with libreoffice
and okular.

I seem to remember seeing a system settings option in the past that had an
option for where this would be displayed (current monitor, primary monitor, or
fixed selection), but am not seeing anything like that at this point.

I have run into this problem on my T61 laptop (nvidia with two screens) and with
my desktop at work (ATI with three screens). This happens with both the
proprietary and free drivers on both systems.

I added a note along these lines to the launchpad bug #207480 as that looks like
it's someone using flash running into the same problem.

David Lang