Acer aspire v5-571p-6815 Kubuntu install

FarSight Data Systems msh at farsight-data.com
Mon Nov 5 14:53:27 UTC 2012

On Monday, November 05, 2012 09:46:03 AM L V Gandhi wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Alvin <info at alvin.be> wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 15:14:18 +0100, L V Gandhi <lvglist at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I purchased the above laptop with win8 and touchscreen today. When I
> >
> >> checked disk management I found that it already have 4 primary
> >> partitions; 1)500 mb  recovery,
> >> 2) 500 mb for  EFI
> >> 3) 687gb  for running win8 and
> >> 4) 11.5gb for recovery partition.
> >> Though I can install Kubuntu in virtual machine, is there any possiblity
> >> of
> >> dual booting keeping recovery partitions as I do not want to forego
> >> warrenty. Any one has installed dual booting in such a system?
> >
> > I suppose these are GPT partitions? In that case, you should be able to
> > split the win8 partition. I've never heard of a voided warranty because
> > one removed the 'recovery partition'.
> >
> > - Recovery for what? Certainly not disk crashes.
> > - It's 12 GB. Might be not that much nowadays, but still. It's 12GB.
> > - In a month, your recovery partition will be outdated.
> > - Isn't that partition full of crapware?
> >
> > The chance that your Acer will break within the warranty period is very
> > high. Believe me, I sold Acer years ago. There are a few Acer notebooks
> > that I never saw again, but most broke fairly soon. It's in your best
> > interest to keep an external backup. If you want some sort of recovery, I
> > can recommend Clonezilla. It's even a boot option of
> > http://partedmagic.com/.
> >
> > If you want to play it very safe:
> > - Take an image of the whole *disk* now.
> > - Format and install as you like. When you make a mistake, restore the
> > image.
> > - If everything is ok, make another image. Either the whole disk, or the
> > separate Windows and Linux partitions. That'll be a more useful recovery
> > image.
>
> My experience with acer is good. I have netbook from acer bought on 2008
> still working nicely.
> Present products have good review from custoimers from all sites like
> amazon, bestbuy etc.
>
> coming to my problem my laptop is having GPT partitions as you rightly
> suggested. It has EFI system partition for boot. My kubuntu 1204 cd could
> not boot when my BIOS was in UEFI boot mode. When I changed it to legacy,
> it could boot. After booting cfdisk could not see partitions because of
> GPT. When I tried taking image using mercurium reflect in DVD, I get
> message that DVD formating could not be done. But I could play music and
> boot KUBUNTU in legacy BIOS mode.
> As You suggested, I will try clonezilla.

Just as a note, I have three Acer systems, a desktop, a notebook (the oldest,
about 4 years old), and a netbook.  All have some version of Linux and all
work great (the notebook needs a new battery).

I recommend Acer systems to all my clients as I've never had to call tech
support for any of them.  Can't say that about Dell or HP.

Mark