Acer aspire v5-571p-6815 Kubuntu install

Alvin info at alvin.be
Sun Nov 4 19:15:55 UTC 2012

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 15:14:18 +0100, L V Gandhi <lvglist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I purchased the above laptop with win8 and touchscreen today. When I
> checked disk management I found that it already have 4 primary
> partitions;
> 1)500 mb  recovery,
> 2) 500 mb for  EFI
> 3) 687gb  for running win8 and
> 4) 11.5gb for recovery partition.
> Though I can install Kubuntu in virtual machine, is there any possiblity
> of
> dual booting keeping recovery partitions as I do not want to forego
> warrenty. Any one has installed dual booting in such a system?

I suppose these are GPT partitions? In that case, you should be able to
split the win8 partition. I've never heard of a voided warranty because
one removed the 'recovery partition'.

- Recovery for what? Certainly not disk crashes.
- It's 12 GB. Might be not that much nowadays, but still. It's 12GB.
- In a month, your recovery partition will be outdated.
- Isn't that partition full of crapware?

The chance that your Acer will break within the warranty period is very
high. Believe me, I sold Acer years ago. There are a few Acer notebooks
that I never saw again, but most broke fairly soon. It's in your best
interest to keep an external backup. If you want some sort of recovery, I
can recommend Clonezilla. It's even a boot option of
http://partedmagic.com/.

If you want to play it very safe:
- Take an image of the whole *disk* now.
- Format and install as you like. When you make a mistake, restore the
image.
- If everything is ok, make another image. Either the whole disk, or the
separate Windows and Linux partitions. That'll be a more useful recovery
image.