Social Aggregation of Data

Jacky Alciné jacky.alcine at thesii.org
Sun May 27 10:58:31 UTC 2012

Hello KDE!

I've been using KDE for quite some time and I personally really, really love
the environment. Everything's nicely tucked together, especially with contact
communication and what not. However, I do feel like it's missing some
elements. For example, when I browse the Web via rekonq, I noticed that a menu
option to share the currently viewed URL appears. By semantics, I figured that
it would allow me to pick a service to send this URL to and go about my way.

It opened up a composer for KMail. Now, I wasn't totally upset, I was planning
on e-mailing the link anyways. But there's links that I'd like to just tweet
or share on Facebook (or D*). I figured that something like a social media
module of sorts with plug-ins for different platforms (could use KNewStuff to
add more services) that could hook into KMainWindow or provide a special UI
element that, with a specific medium of data, would redistribute the content in
question. For example, if there's a image on my computer that I downloaded
from my camera, without having to open Gwenview, I could just right-click the
image, select "Share...", pick a service (given that the image is uploaded as
well) and watch the job occur in the background.

I figured it'd be a cool idea; and I'd consider working on a library with a
sample application to test it out. I'm planning on starting tonight (after
work) so I could [hopefully, with school] have something before Friday. I
wanted to get the opinion of KDE users themselves.

Ideas? Rants? Insults? :D All welcome.
--
Jacky Alcine

One Vision. One Purpose.
We Are the Synthetic Intellect Institute
http://www.thesii.org

--

Synthetic Intellect Institute
Trustee at www.thesii.org