[precise] k9copy: unable to open /dev/sr0

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat May 19 03:01:42 UTC 2012

On 18/05/12 15:11, Doug wrote:
> On 05/18/2012 12:57 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> When I run k9copy and say "Open", it responds with "cannot open disc
>>> /dev/sr0".

>>> Yes.
>>
>> I guess what I meant to add earlier was: what happens if you select
>> k9copy form this menu - does k9copy start but then it cannot open
>> sr0, right?
>>
>> A most interesting puzzle :-) . I know that k9copy is no longer
>> supported - the author gave up trying to maintain it over 12 months
>> ago - but even so it should at least recognise and open disc in sr0.
>>
>> OK, have you tried running k9copy in a terminal? Often this may show
>> what may be causing the problem.
>>
>> Have you looked at the logs in /var/log/ ?
>>
>> How about ~/.kde4/share/config/K9copy to see if there is anything
>> here which looks "not quite right"?
>>
>> Finally, have you tried creating a new user and trying out k9copy as
>> this user?
>>
>> [..........]
>>
>> BC
>>
> Maybe your dog could open it?

Reminds me of one of the Pink Panther films where Inspector Jacques
Clouseau, played by Peter Sellers, is in the foyer of the little hotel
he is staying at and as he is about to walk of the hotel he sees a dog
sleeping across the entrance. He turns to the owner of the hotel, who is
reading a paper behind the counter, and asks him, "Does your dog bite?"
to which the owner says, "No.". So Clouseau bends down to pat the dog
and the dog bites his hand. Clouseau says, with some annoyance, to the
owner, "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite!" and the owner
replies, "This is not my dog."

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.3.6 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor