12.04 is the worst yet

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed May 16 06:55:44 UTC 2012

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 16/05/12 06:08, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > 4. I want to import mails from kmail. Well, I know that TB doesn't
> > understand maildir, so I copied some mails to a new mbox folder
> > before I started TB. But how can I import those mails? While there
> > is an import option, it doesn't seem to do anything - at least I
> > couldn't convince it to give me a file dialog to search for the
> > mbox file with the mails I have saved.
>
> I think the answer lies here:
>
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=290125
>
> but as I have never used kmail I can only assume that the solution
> offered was successful to the person who raised the question.

Thanks for searching for a solution, but that forum post doesn't really
help. The only suggestion I could find there was to export all mail and
then setup a pop3 server to receive the old mail with TB from that
server. IMHO that is a bit too much work (not that I couldn't do it).
And that's why I think that it hurts even more to move to TB than wait
for a sufficiently working Kmail2.

When I tested the (IIRC) alpha2 version of 12.04, kmail2 crashed
repeatedly. That's why I tried TB and found out that I didn't like it.
However before I tried other email clients, came a new KDE version
including a new Kmail2. Suddenly the crashed were gone and it looked
much brighter. Of course I would prefer to stay with kmail* because that
spares the export/import step to keep my old mail and with a little
shell script I could also transfer my filters. But the filters don't
work reliably for now and the local mailbox doesn't work as expected. So
there are still some issues but I expect improvements in the not too far
future. I'm not in a hurry - 10.04 still works great for me.

Nils