12.04 is the worst yet

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Tue May 15 01:25:47 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:13:21 AM Richard Terry wrote:
> > Just the fact that it took me two months to get a good install is enough
> > to  question the future of kubuntu.  I've always done the same
> > things:  install the beta and then keep it up to date to get to the final
> > release.  Didn't happen this time....  may not try it in the future.
> >
> > Time to look elsewhere.
> >

> Sorry you've had that experience.
>
> I stayed away from kmail, have installed 12 on several machines, as have
> my mates and all smooth sailing.
>
> Personally, most impressed.
>
> Converted my older installation on my laptop (9) from kmail to
> thunderbird and find though it seems to lack some of the things I use in
> kmail (drag n drop into the composer) that overall its is a pleasant
> experience.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard

Well I'm not usually one to pitch a B**ch but I have been using Kubuntu since
6.04 and usually have the clear sailing experience, but this one had me
thinking that maybe I never would get it installed.

But I guess I have to admit that the problems have been creeping in for the
last two releases.  I used to run XFCE with kmail just to keep away from the
KDE growth problems but 11.10 forced me to go back to KDE.  Not necessarily
happy with that.

And all the akonadi, virtuso, strigi, nepomuk crap makes me wonder when it is
all going to come crashing down!!

Oh well, that's the good thing about linux... there are always choices.....

(no newbie here: 50 years of computing and counting so this is hopefully
coming from an experienced position)

Thanks for your comments, Rich