bin folder with a "check-home" file appeared in Home directory

Lucas L lucas.ar23 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:37:18 UTC 2012

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 23:23:03 -0700
> From: George Dvorak <gldvorak at gmail.com>
> To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: bin folder with a "check-home" file appeared in Home
>        directory

> I have an executable file also /proc/self/exe. What causes you to worry
> about this file?

Sorry, I think I  wasn't clear enough. Yesterday night I opened my Home and
found this new folder, called "bin", with a file inside called
"check-home". To make it clear, what appeared is /home/user/bin/check-home.

I googled it and only found a result in a Linux-Mint forum, but the user
with the same problem din't get an answer.

So I'm trying to figure out what is it about, and if it could be some kind
of malware.

Thanks,
Lucas