How to get and install skype?

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 15:18:10 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 14:42, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Paul Stear wrote:
>> Oh dear!!!  It's just too much hassle microphone not working - what
>> is pulse audio anyway?  web cam not found.
>
> Pulse audio is a certain layer of the audio system. If things haven't
> changed, you could run the program pavucontrol (from the package with
> the same name). With this program you can enable your microphone.
>
> And for the webcam you could first check if the program cheese can see
> it. If that works, you may want to start skype with the command
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
>
> from konsole on a 64bit system or with the command
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
>
> on a 32bit system.
>
> Please note: I haven't tried any of the commands above because I don't
> use skype. But from what I remember from helping a friend to run skype
> with a webcam with a previous version of Kubuntu, it should work.
>
>> Why can't things be simple plug and play and off you go.
>
> Please ask Microsoft, they are the owner of Skype. But to be fair, Skype
> wasn't working without problems before it was bought by Microsoft.

Try here:
http://www.mindwerks.net/2011/09/skype-on-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

it got me up and running on 64-bit, back on 32pae I have no problems. As
for mic/sound install Veromix widget - WAY better control of pulseaudio
than KMix. In my opinion that is.

Having done that I have no problems with Skype.

Best
Sinclair