How to get and install skype?

girar dhenri girardhenri at free.fr
Fri Jun 8 15:06:01 UTC 2012

Le 08/06/2012 14:42, Nils Kassube a écrit :
> Paul Stear wrote:
>> Oh dear!!!  It's just too much hassle microphone not working - what
>> is pulse audio anyway?  web cam not found.
> Pulse audio is a certain layer of the audio system. If things haven't
> changed, you could run the program pavucontrol (from the package with
> the same name). With this program you can enable your microphone.
>
> And for the webcam you could first check if the program cheese can see
> it. If that works, you may want to start skype with the command
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
>
> from konsole on a 64bit system or with the command
>
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
>
> on a 32bit system.
>
> Please note: I haven't tried any of the commands above because I don't
> use skype. But from what I remember from helping a friend to run skype
> with a webcam with a previous version of Kubuntu, it should work.
>
>> Why can't things be simple plug and play and off you go.
> Please ask Microsoft, they are the owner of Skype. But to be fair, Skype
> wasn't working without problems before it was bought by Microsoft.
>

> Nils

In fact, ubuntu could configure this to be working (webcam and sound)
it's just a matter of lib and volume (rear or front ). These "things"
don't work since lib is in 386 instead being in v4l.
Or packager could do it specialy for beginners with linux. skype is the
only good working audio video conferencing on linux.