Oneiric 64-bit and AMD/ATI proprietary drivers

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:31:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM, tv.debian at googlemail.com
<tv.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 11/01/2012 20:37, Mark Greenwood wrote:

> Hi, taking the thread from here since I missed the beginning. I would stay
> away from those packages, they are broken and will break your system. You
> should try to *purge* all fglrx related packages, then reinstall
> libgl1-mesa-glx and libgl1-mesa-dri (you will see that update-alternatives
> is correcting dead links errors), and only then install the fglrx packages,
> NOT the "updates" ones. I had trouble with this packages on all my AMD
> systems (amd64).

These are working just fine for me.  My A8 CPU won't work correctly
with the plain fglrx packages.  I can't remember what happen when I
installed from ATI site (some odd problems).  Anyway, fglrx-updates
packages works fine for me (and have been working correctly for a few
months now, and I have gone through at least one upgrade for these
packages).

> Regarding the switcheroo nature of your laptop, I can't comment since my
> system are "simple" discreet or on-board graphic chips.
> Off course be sure to purge ALL file installed from the AMD catalyst
> installer before going any further.

Yeah, it is needed to completely purge all of what was installed from
the AMD catalyst, or you will have problems.