Dolhpin Can't Mount SD Cards From Camera Nautilus Can

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:41:44 UTC 2012

2012/1/11 Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at gmail.com>

> On 11 Jan 2012, at 00:14, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>
> > Em domingo 01 janeiro 2012, Swapnil Bhartiya escreveu:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Today I connected my Nikon D7000 camera to Kubuntu and it popped a
> >> message to open it with either DigiKam, Dolphin or GwenView. I
> >> selected Dolphin but all it showed was some crazy folder which had
> >> no content in them. It also did not show the two SD carded in the
> >> left pane. I open the camera with Nautilus under Ubuntu and it
> >> mounted the cards as simple mass storage. How to use KDE/Kubuntu
> >> with my camera?
> >>
> >> Swapnil
> >
> > I have a Nikon S9100 and Dolphin can't access the SD card when I plug
> > the camera in neither. However, this camera does not function as a card
> > reader when you plug it in. It is not a mass storage device like a usb
> > stick.
> > Dolphin tries to access the camera using camera:/ and the device is
> > shown as a "USB PTP Class Camera". However, I can't see its contents in
> > Dolphin, it says "Loading folder" forever and never show the contents of
> > the SD card.
> > However, if I remove the SD card from the camera and use a card reader,
> > I can read it in the same USB port.
> > Probably it is the same with your camera, but I don't know why Dolphin
> > can't access it directly.
> > I have other cameras that behave as a PTP device, but they allow me to
> > configure them as mass storage/card reader, therefore I can read their
> > cards when I connect them to the computer. The Nikon, however,  doesn't,
> > so I always have to read its card using a card reader.
>
> Just to follow up on my comment from yesterday.
>
> Strictly speaking, KDE is doing the right thing. A PTP device is NOT a
> mass storage device so if you follow the spec to the letter, PTP devices
> should not be mounted in that way anyway. (However it's one of those cases
> where the spec doesn't take into account the way people think).
>
> What this means however is that you might find that your camera works with
> Digikam even though it's not detected by Solid's Mass Storage interface.
> Have you ever tried firing up Digikam and choosing 'Import'?
>
> Mark

I don't expect a PTP device is mounted as mass storage, but I do expect
Dolphin can read its contents, using whatever method it chooses to access
the device. Instead, it only shows "Loading folder" forever and never
finishes reading.
I don't use Digikam, I only want to copy files. This is a task that should
be done by a file manager.
But this is not a very important issue to me, I have a card reader attached
to the computer and it is quicker to use it to read the sd card than
finding the cable to connect the camera.

[]'s
Marcelo