Akonadi etc

Kaj Haulrich kaj at haulrich.net
Sun Feb 19 10:05:24 UTC 2012

On 02/19/2012 09:44 AM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I attended a local Linux users meeting yesterday. I wanted to ask about
> Akonadi but no one there had heard of it. I then found out that I was
> the only one present using KDE.
>
> So my question is, is akonadi a KDE only program? And if so, do other
> desktops such as Gnome, Xfce, LXDE have similar programs?
>
> Incidentally I don't use akonadi at all and keep it switched off
> permanently. I would like to remove it altogether, but I have heard that
> could cause problems.

Like you, I tried to remove Akonadi, but doing so will remove the whole
KDE. As a workaround, I remove all KDE-PIM stuff (Kmail, Kontact etc..),
but Akonadi still sits there, lurking and ready to break whatever it
dislikes.

Then, I tried to wipe the whole thing and installed Xubuntu. The big
idea being that Xubuntu has a feature called "Enable KDE functionality
during startup" - or some such. OK, then I installed the applications I
need most (and the reasons why I prefer KDE),namely Digikam, Dolphin,
Krita, Showphoto and Kdenlive. Everything works like a greased lightning
- maybe even faster then on generic Kubuntu.

But Akonadi somehow got installed into Xubuntu in the process...? - So I
guess it is a dependency for one or more of those KDE-applications.

Anyway Akonadi hasn't - yet - figured out how to crash or even slow down
Xubuntu.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux xubuntu 12.04 ---------