Cannot see the Grub screen/Kubuntu login after installing Kubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 7 on Asus U47A Laptop

uteck theuteck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 13:35:38 UTC 2012

It seems like grub is not getting installed.  When it says grub will
be installed on /dev/sda it means the Master Boot Record (MBR) section
of that disk, the first 512 bytes, not the whole disk.  So it would
replace the Windows boot loader and should list both operating
systems.

I am not that familiar with UEFI, but I would hazard a guess that
since you are not installing the 1MB partition like it is asking, grub
is not getting installed at all.
I think the installer is being overly helpful and detects the UEFI is
there and assumes it is active.  I think there is an advanced option
somewhere that gives you more control were grub gets installed, but if
you can't find it, try again and let it make the partition.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Jayneil Dalal <jayneil.dalal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Asus U47A Laptop with no discrete graphics. UEFI is disabled in
> the BIOS. I had Windows 7 installed by default. So, I installed Kubuntu
> 12.04 by creating a separate 300GB partition. During the installation, it
> asked me where to install the bootloader. So, I installed the bootloader on
> /dev/sda option which selects my entire hard disk I guess. I was also asked
> to create a separate 1MB BIOS Grub partition before proceeding but I choose
> to ignore it cause I had the UEFI boot disabled. Now, after installation,
> the system just loads Windows 7. I cannot see the Kubuntu grub/login screen.
> So, I went to the BIOS and saw that under boot options, it is still set to
> Windows bootloader option. So, what do I do now? Should I change the boot
> entry in the BIOS?If so, then to what(Windows recognizes the new Linux
> partition as 'D' Drive)? I don't want to remove Windows but dual boot. Any
> help would be really appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Jayneil.

no .sig found