Cannot see the Grub screen/Kubuntu login after installing Kubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 7 on Asus U47A Laptop

Jayneil Dalal jayneil.dalal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:56:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have an Asus U47A Laptop with no discrete graphics. UEFI is disabled in
the BIOS. I had Windows 7 installed by default. So, I installed Kubuntu
12.04 by creating a separate 300GB partition. During the installation, it
asked me where to install the bootloader. So, I installed the bootloader on
/dev/sda option which selects my entire hard disk I guess. I was also asked
to create a separate 1MB BIOS Grub partition before proceeding but I choose
to ignore it cause I had the UEFI boot disabled. Now, after installation,
the system just loads Windows 7. I cannot see the Kubuntu grub/login
screen. So, I went to the BIOS and saw that under boot options, it is still
set to Windows bootloader option. So, what do I do now? Should I change the
boot entry in the BIOS?If so, then to what(Windows recognizes the new Linux
partition as 'D' Drive)? I don't want to remove Windows but dual boot. Any
help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Jayneil.