linux and cell phones

Alex Gabriel alexgabriel at dimensiadesign.com
Sun Sep 18 15:46:42 UTC 2011

I have a BlackBerry Torch (9800) and have no problem whatsoever when
interacting with Kubuntu, and Linux in general.  Immediately after
connecting the phone to any computer using the included micro USB
cable, I'm given three options:

1. USB Drive
2. Sync Media
3. Charge Only

So far I mainly use the first option, but the second option works as
well, though it connects the phone as an MTP drive.  I've noted that
support for MTP seems to be a bit unreliable in Linux (insofar as
media players are concerned), but if you use Amarok and have the phone
connected as a USB drive, you can sync media without a problem.

Due to the fact that it connects as a USB drive, all regular functions
of Konqueror/Dolphin work the same as it would with a hard disk drive
or other device connected via USB.

I think the main thing you need to look for in a phone, insofar as
integration with Linux is concerned, is whether it allows connection
as a USB drive.  If it has that, you can be certain it will work with
whichever distribution you choose to use.

Alex Gabriel
Dimensia Design Studio
alexgabriel at dimensiadesign.com