Dual monitors in 11.04

Alvin info at alvin.be
Tue Nov 29 10:59:13 UTC 2011

On Monday 28 November 2011 19:07:35 Billie Walsh wrote:
> I've been futzing around most of the day trying to get dual monitors set
> up with an Nvidia GeForce 8800 video card. One monitor on the DVI output
> and the other on the VGA out. Downloaded the latest and greatest drivers
> and installed them. Now shows both monitors in the Nvidia X server
> settings. Both monitors now show the same screen, I just can't seem to
> get them to work as separate screens. Have the setting in the X server
> settings set to "Separate X Screen" [ should it be "Twin View" ]. Have
> the screen I want as secondary to the right in the settings.
>
> According to Nvidia web site it should be able to do. The card is
> supposed to support it. Didn't see anything about it in the driver stuff
> so ................
>
> Most everything I found with Google and on the Ubuntu site dealt with
> older versions [ like 9.0x or something ].
>
> What am I missing? Any suggestions?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Did you install the drivers using jockey or using an unsupported method?

Twinview utilizes xorg.conf, so put something like this in it:
Change your values for "Device" and "Monitor" according to your hardware. Not
all values are needed. You can experiment with removing things like HorizSync
and VertRefresh. Check your BusID with lspci.

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 216"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Eizo"
    ModelName      "ColorEdge CG210"
    HorizSync       24.0 - 100.0
    VertRefresh     49.0 - 86.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    VendorName     "Eizo"
    ModelName      "ColorEdge CG210"
    HorizSync       24.0 - 100.0
    VertRefresh     49.0 - 86.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-
auto-select +1600+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection