No love lost between KMail/Akonadi and fetchmail/postfix/mbox...

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 23 19:51:56 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 02:47:55 PM Anj Tuesday did opine:

> I use fetchmail and postfix to regularly retrieve mail from a number of
> POP accounts; it ends up in /var/mail/anj. I also have an Akonadi mbox
> resource pointed at that file so I can easily get at all my mail with
> any random email client I might want to try.
>
> This works fine with Thunderbird or Evolution as well as console mailers
> like Alpine... and it has worked fine in the past with pre-Akonadi
> KMail.
>
> But now Akonadi pops up four notifications every time I receive mail
> to complain that file:///var/mail/anj has been changed by another
> program and that a backup has been created. Isn't it *supposed* to be
> changed by another program? How else would it receive email?
>
> I can turn off file monitoring for the Akonadi mbox resource, but then
> KMail never finds any new email any more!
>
> I tried the procmail and mutt lockfile options but they don't help
> with that (clearly I'm also in way over my head here!).
>
> If anyone has any ideas (except "stop trying to be all UNIXy with
> fetchmail and postfix")... I'd love to hear them.
>
> Be well,
> Anja

Let me put it this way.  I have been doing almost exactly that for many
years, and it will remain so or I'll be asking how to import my 10 year old
kmail database into claws.  All this recent emphasis on useless, often
unstable eye candy instead of real usability is discouraging.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Whoever would lie usefully should lie seldom.