Installer blank screen problem

uteck theuteck at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:19:40 UTC 2011

My home systems it works fine, but the old machines I use at work it really
shows it's limitations.  It just prints error messages as it dies during
boot which is going to scare a user eventually.  Even using the modified
mountall package so I could remove plymouth still does not give a clean
looking boot.  Things start fine, but seeing errors about "command terminal
not found" and "plymounth killed" is going to cause a user call support.
The system works fine, it is just that the only start-up feedback are
errors from plymouth.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Thomas Olsen <thomas at tanghus.net> wrote:

> On Monday 07 November 2011 16:46 Steve Riley wrote:
> > Ubuntu bug #556372
> > (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/556372) is
> > tracking the request to remove the dependency -- the maintainer keeps
> > changing it to "Won't fix" but I added myself anyway.
> >
> > Comment #16 contains an alternate workaround. You can create a
> > "plymouth-dummy" that replaces Plymouth and persists across updates.
>
> That was a long read. For now I've added myself, but won't install any of
> the
> workarounds as plymouth - amazingly - doesn't bug me on my current setup
> (it
> probably will at sometime when I'm unable to see what's happening during
> boot).
>
> I see it is nominated for Lucid an Maverick. How do you nominate if for
> Oneiric too?

> > > Thanks for sharing this.  I might follow your procedure. OTOH it's
> > > annoying if it gets overwritten by updates. Can't grasp why they have
> > > it as a hard dependency, instead of just being on by default and easily
> > > turned off in /etc/default/<somefile>.
> > > It's been a while since I messed with it, but this made me remember
> that
> > > it's close to impossible to get rid of.
> --
> Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards