Desktop effects slow monitor performance

Isak Enström isak.enstrom at
Tue Mar 22 08:51:22 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-22 09:35, Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> Hi all,
> I post few times here with issue related to enabled effects and the refresh
> rate of the screen (the latter being really bad while th effects are on). This
> I have on three machines with rather really new hardware (all with 10.10, KDE
> 4.6.1).
> Some people here suggested ides but none of them worked.  Meanwhile I found
> this:
> Before I give a try, can anyone share what is the difference of using OpenGL
> and Xrender? Would it be advisable to follow the suggested by this post, or
> the solution is elsewhere?  As usual -- any ideas are appreciated!
> gk
What hardware are you on?

The way I understand it, Xrender isn't utilizing your hardware to draw
the effects - it's "software accelerated".

Have you tried another window manager e.g. Compiz? I've had problems
myself with Kwin + Radeon X600 + Kubuntu, but switching to Compiz gave
me a little performance boost. Funnily enough things are working much
better with other distros, it seems to be the *buntu base that have

I know this isn't the answer you want, but it will help you narrowing
down your problem.