screen layout not saved.

Alvin info at alvin.be
Tue Jun 7 10:02:37 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 07 June 2011 11:16:28 Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have upgraded recently and have a few issues that are very annoying.
> 1. I have twin monitors set up side by side but every time I start the
> screens just mirror each other.  I have set the screens up a few times
> using system settings and save the result as default but again on restart
> it just reverts to clone copy.

KDE needs some adjustments to work better with dual-monitor. It's a known
problem. The workaround depends on your video driver.
- xrandr supported: use xrandr. Test it out in your current enviromnent, then
place your xrandr commands in /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup.
- xrandr not supported: use twinview (nvidia) and set up a good old-fashioned
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. (I use this. Be careful not to resize your konsole.) ATI
will probably have something similar (or support xrandr?)

> 2. Quite often if I right click in dolphin on a file and click properties,
> dolphin freezes and I have to kill it.
I can't reproduce this one. A known problem is Dolphin crashing when moving
the pointer over certain files. (Will be fixed in a later version.)

> 3. libreoffice calc has a problem saving one of my spreadsheets, if I save
> the file libreoffice just crashes.

Are you saving to an NFS3 share? OpenOffice/LibreOffice has major locking
troubles on NFS. You need lockd or NFS4.

--
Alvin