Permissions problems are being a huge PIMA

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 22:30:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:19 PM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011 02:18:25 pm Tom H did opine:
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

>> > I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair,
>> > in a nice comfy heated house.
>> >
>> > The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
>> > share, and this is where the PIMA starts.
>> >
>> > Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas
>> > the rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the
>> > user gene on both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the
>> > /home/gene tree on the milling machines kubuntu install.
>> >
>> > So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an
>> > email received on this machine, directly to the
>> > /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory on that *buntu box in the shop,
>> > what then is the std procedure to establish that the user gene=500 on
>> > this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?
>>
>> The "UID_MIN 1000" setting is a Debianism that you can modify in
>> "/etc/login.defs".
>>
> As that is set at install time, from read-only media, that doesn't sound
> practical to do now.

You can boot into single user mode and do either of the following:

1. Delete the user created at install, modify "/etc/login.defs", and
re-create the user. (Only useful at first boot!)

2. Modify the uid of the user,  modify "/etc/login.defs", and chown
the user's home directory recursively with the new uid.

(You may also have to edit "/etc/adduser.conf" if you use adduser
rather than useradd.)

>> If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
>> with /path/to/file/users.map.
>
> Now this I'll have to look up, thank you!

You're welcome.