OT: html anchors (was Re: Grub screen when booting)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jan 26 12:23:41 UTC 2011

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 16:51, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> I have now done at least 10 tests taking a copy of the URL showing
> >> on various pages of various articles on various online news
> >> sources, sent the URLs to myself in e-mail(s), shutdown Firefox
> >> for each test (shutting FF clears its cache on my set-up),
> >> clicked on the URL using Thunderbird I just sent myself - and in
> >> each and every case what appeared in FF was the beginning of the
> >> article and not the page where I copied the URL.
> >
> > Even Firefox can do it - it's not _that_ shoddy. I just tried it
> > with the URL I sent in the previous mail. Firefox shows the URL
> > with spaces instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar. If I highlight
> > the URL with the mouse I can then paste it in Kmail. But maybe
> > your Thunderbird is broken and shortens the URL to the top of the
> > page when you paste it?
>
> Sorry Nils. Your response is a collection of mix-and-match. And then
> you introduce the slur on Thunderbird :-) .

Hmm, and you don't mind the slur on Firefox? ;)

> OK, you mention above that in your case your Firefox shows "the URL
> with spaces instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar."

Granted, that wasn't important - the important part is that there is the
"#" and the pointer within the page displayed in the address bar.

> Why is this so when mine does no such thing?
>
> I note that this discussion is occurring here in kubuntu, which is
> the KDE orientated list. Is it the case, then, that KDE produces
> different results to what occurs in the gnome environment (which is
> what I use)?

No, it works the same with Ubuntu. And yes, I even fired up Ubuntu to
test it, i.e. the LiveCD of Ubuntu 10.04.1. Could it be some Firefox
addon on your machine that causes that unusual behaviour?

Nils