problems with ybook e-book reader with wine

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Jan 8 20:01:11 UTC 2011

On Saturday 08 January 2011 19:58, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Saturday, January 08, 2011 01:15:26 pm Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I'm trying to use ybook e-book reader with wine. It installs ok on Hardy,
> > and Intrepid, and will load a book ok, but the book does not display,
> > just a black background on the reader.
> >
> > According to wine hq appdb, it should work fine, with 2 entries for
> > platinum status, and one for gold.
> >
> > Has anybody here tried it, and got it working with wine?
>
> Why are you fooling around with yBook on wine?  I just checked out the
> website and it looks like a simple utility.  I've been using Calibre [1]
> for a couple of years now and think very highly of it.  an older version is
> in the repositories but the latest is a simple Install with a copy & paste
> to the command line [2].  It reads everything and keeps track of all your
> ebooks too.  Searches are very fast and I've never had a problem reading an
> ebook in any format - lit, epub, pdf, rtf, to name a few.
>
> Alan
>
> [1]  http://calibre-ebook.com/
> [2]  sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec
> urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read();
> main()"

Hi Alan.
I was a bit put off with Calibre seemingly wanting really up to date libs that
Hardy hasn't got, but I'll take a look at the earlier versions. Perhaps I can
get it installed on Hardy.

Being on dialup, I've got a bit tired of downloading iso's, otherwise I'd get
the latest LTS version of Kubuntu installed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nigel.