problems with ybook e-book reader with wine

Alan Dacey Sr. grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Sat Jan 8 18:58:20 UTC 2011

On Saturday, January 08, 2011 01:15:26 pm Nigel Henry wrote:
> I'm trying to use ybook e-book reader with wine. It installs ok on Hardy, and
> Intrepid, and will load a book ok, but the book does not display, just a
> black background on the reader.
>
> According to wine hq appdb, it should work fine, with 2 entries for platinum
> status, and one for gold.
>
> Has anybody here tried it, and got it working with wine?

Why are you fooling around with yBook on wine?  I just checked out the website
and it looks like a simple utility.  I've been using Calibre [1] for a couple of years
now and think very highly of it.  an older version is in the repositories but the
latest is a simple Install with a copy & paste to the command line [2].  It reads
everything and keeps track of all your ebooks too.  Searches are very fast and I've
never had a problem reading an ebook in any format - lit, epub, pdf, rtf, to name a few.

Alan

[1]  http://calibre-ebook.com/
[2]  sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"