Shutdown pauses when others are connected

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 05:40:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2011, Homer wrote:
>> I'm the only user that will ever be on these machines.  Unless I'm no
>> longer employed here, then the next person will be the only user.  Do
>> you know how to disable this feature?
>
> Fine, then tell the developers that you need your own version of a single-user
> linux.   I think you are picking at nits.

No, he's not.  When a user has a desired behavior to tell that that
they are wrong is counterproductive.  Just because Linux may be
potentially multiuser, doesn't mean it is for everyone.  My wife's
computer is single user, my kids computers are single user.  Even my
computer is single user, most of the time.

When I tell my computer to shutdown (usually by hitting CTRL-ATL-DEL
in KDE then hitting return, that is what I expect it to do.  I don't
like coming back to it the next evening and discovering that it didn't
shut down because a) I had lagged in remotely from work, or b) I
logged in on a VC.

Apparently some people would like the computer to stay on forever in
that circumstance.  That is fine with me.  But I know a fairly large
number of people who would like to set an option to have the machine
shut down when it is told to.

This is a pretty common complaint, and I have yet to see an answer to it.

Michael