OpenOffice can't save to a directory with # in the name

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:03:31 UTC 2011

I just solved a tricky problem with OpenOffice.  I'm writing this
email for two reasons.  First, it might help someone else with the
same trouble.  Second, I'd like to file a bug and I need advice as to
where to file it.

My wife has a directory named "Troop #441".  Every time she save a
file to that directory it ended up in her home dir in a file named
"Troop".  Actually, I think it was named "Troop " but that took a
while to figure out.

I finally found that it was the pound sign "#" in the directory name.
There is something wrong with saving to such a directory.

Some more experimenting showed that it was only when using the KDE
dialogs in OO.  When I switch to using only the OO dialogs
(Tools->Options->General and click "Use OpenOffice dialogs") the
problem went away.  Of course, now she has ugly dialogs, but at least
they work.

So my question is where do I file this bug.  It appears to be in the
implementation of the KDE dialogs in OO.  Who does that?  Where is the
bug DB?

Thanks,

Michael