Install Win98 on /dev/sda4

Waleed Hamra kubuntu-users at whamra.com
Wed Feb 16 09:36:29 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 09:29 AM, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> I had a Win98 install disk and 36GiB of free space at the end of my HD, so I
> formatted it as FAT32 and it became /dev/sda4.
>
> When I booted from the Win98 install disk it said DriveC wasn't the right
> format and wouldn't let me install without formatting it.  How can I point it
> to /dev/sda4?
>
> 	-Jerry

this has to do with Windows 98 wanting the boot partition (the active
partition) to be setup for booting this sda4 partition.
is sda4 primary or logical? if logical, i dont think windows can be
installed on it without some hacking (installing elsewhere and copying
to partition), if it's primary, you can make its partition active (Linux
doesnt care about active partitions, since it needs the MBR for grub,
and grub uses a kernel-based boot), and try if windows likes it. but
this still has a high probablity of the setup overwriting your MBR, in
which case you're going to need a bootable linux (CD or other disk) at
hand to just re-apply grub on the disk.
hope this helps.

--
Waleed K. Hamra