K/UbuntuOS/ZorinOS 64

GeraldCC gcsgcatling at bigpond.com
Fri Feb 11 06:22:37 UTC 2011

On Friday 11 February 2011 16:01:46 Nils Kassube wrote:
> GeraldCC wrote:
> > I have been trying K/Ubuntu
>
> Which K/Ubuntu version is that? 10.04? 10.10?
>
> > and Zorin on 3 machines and the software
> > seems to turn off the usb ports after a while--anywhere from 30sec
> > to 30 mins. These system run IDE+SATA1+SATA2 combination.
> > On a 4th machine, some 6YO a 64FX53, using only IDE drives this does
> > not happen.
>
> I haven't seen that effect until now but I'm quite sure it doesn't
> depend on the way the disks are connected. Anyway, does the USB port
> still work if you connect a new device or is it really dead after the
> problem starts?
>
> > All these systems feed through a Belkin usb hub to supply wireless
> > keyboard and mouse.
>
> Wireless mouse reminds me of the part a friend of mine has. After a
> while the mouse doesn't work any longer and it wakes up only if you
> click once (left/right click doesn't matter). But probably you know
> about that bahaviour if your mouse does the same.
>
> What else is connected via USB? Could you connect the mouse/keyboard
> directly without the USB hub? After all it might as well be a faulty hub
> causing the problem.
>

> Nils
Hi Nils,
Only a mouse/keyboard on the Belkin (7 port)hub.
Kubuntu 10.10 the version of Zorin is 4.
The system runs for a time then no mouse or keyboard.
If I disconnect the hub from the Computer then reconnect there is no
indication to show the usb is functional.
I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 as well but the effect is the same.
I normally run PCLinuxOS 2010.12 on my systems but feel a need to try others.
Unfortunately others do not seem to work.
Gerald