Permissions problems are being a huge PIMA

Reinhold Rumberger rrumberger at web.de
Wed Feb 2 01:28:07 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch 02 Februar 2011, um 01:07:00 schrieb gene heskett:
<snip: I'm a little out of my depth here, so I'll focus on what I *do* know>

> 1. when I logged in, x wouldn't run, so I looked to see if I had an
> /etc/xorg.conf,

Just checking to see that you actually mean /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

> but I didn't, other than old backup copies, so I copied it
> to xorg.conf and edited it to replace the 'vesa' driver with the ati, which
> may have been my mistake, but it turns out that the box is now running at
> about 2% of its former speed when emc is running.  Bear in mind I changed
> it to see if the ati/radeon driver was any better, but it is far worse,
> dozens of times slower than the vesa driver was 2 weeks ago.
>
> So, i need to go back to the vesa driver, but that also is acting like its
> a 25mhz 386sx.  Keyboard responses are typically 2 seconds to recognize a
> keydown, and maybe 3 secs to recognize a keyup, with a similar lag between
> the keyup, and another keydown else there is no respnse at all.  Mouse
> clicks similarly lag, and the screen update itself is another 2 to 4
> seconds.

Is that only with this emc thing? Does it make use of 3D-acceleration?
I'm pretty sure that changing your UID shouldn't have that effect, especially
as the X server is normally started by root/a special system user.
Have you tried running memtest? What do dmesg, /var/log/messages,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, ... say? Anything suspicious?

  --Reinhold