AMD A4-Series APU A4-3400 compatibility

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 03:45:59 UTC 2011

The ATI proprietary driver is called 'fglrx':
[   128.967] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
[   128.968] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
[   128.968] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
[   128.969] (II) Unloading fglrx
[   128.969] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)
Your Xorg.log shows that the 'fglrx' driver doesn't exist - it hasn't been installed correctly. X tries to load it and fails so falls back to trying various other drivers (I think it ends up trying the radeon driver or framebuffer mode, I'm no expert in these things), but none of these drivers can handle it. So we need to get it installed properly. Unless you know how to install it from the command line (which I don't) then this means using the Additional Drivers tool.. but that needs X, so we need to get you into X.

It's possible that 'nomodeset' may be confusing the various drivers. So we need to see if we can get you into X without using that option. If I take it as read that you can't just boot into X without using nomodeset, then this means bypassing the ****** plymouth splash screen.
edit /etc/default/grub: Comment out (with a hash) the line that starts with 'GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT'. Uncomment the line GRUB_TIMEOUT and set a value, e.g. GRUB_TIMEOUT=10.
Now run sudo update-grub, and reboot.
When you do this you should see the grub menu at boot. This will allow you to select 'recovery mode'. Do this and then just select 'Continue normal boot'. This bypasses the plymouth splash screen.
Try this with or without nomodeset - one way might get you into X from where you can install the ATI driver. Once done you'll again need to see whether you now need nomodeset to get the system to boot properly.

The other way to bypass the splash is just to prevent plymouth ever using a splash screen - I haven't tried this myself but in /etc/default/grub you'll see the options 'quiet splash' on GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. You can remove these options, run sudo update-grub again and reboot and you'll get a good old-fashioned very messy looking linux boot up :)

I went through all this on a recent NVIDIA system install, so I'll try to help all I can.

Mark