Natty problem with console video

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at
Thu Apr 28 01:07:57 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, April 27, 2011, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 27, 2011, Tom H wrote:
> >>
> >> I've never seen "CTL-BKSP-Fx" to go to a console session. Do you mean
> >> "Ctrl-Alt-Fx"?
> >>
> >> Unless you mean "Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc" to kill X and go to a console session?
> >
> > No wait....  what I really wanted to say was CTL-ALT-Fx where x is 1 thru
> I'm glad that you've clarified your answer because the previous one
> was unclear. :)
> What are you trying to achieve with "vga=normal"? The "vga=..." option
> is deprecated in grub2.
> I'd suggest that you set the following variables in
> "/etc/default/grub" and run update-grub:

I have those set, and grub is not the problem.   If I let grub use it's gfx
mode, I do not get any msgs at all nor do I get the splash screen.

So I normally remove 'splash'  and 'quiet' so I can get the msgs...  and vga-
normal was just an attempt to force a reasonable console mode.

And it would be my guess that  CTL-ALT-BkSpc  doesn't work anymore.  It does
nothing when I try it.

The problem remains.