Natty problem with console video

Tom H tomh0665 at
Thu Apr 28 00:44:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at> wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 27, 2011, Tom H wrote:
>> I've never seen "CTL-BKSP-Fx" to go to a console session. Do you mean
>> "Ctrl-Alt-Fx"?
>> Unless you mean "Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc" to kill X and go to a console session?
> No wait....  what I really wanted to say was CTL-ALT-Fx where x is 1 thru 6

I'm glad that you've clarified your answer because the previous one
was unclear. :)

What are you trying to achieve with "vga=normal"? The "vga=..." option
is deprecated in grub2.

I'd suggest that you set the following variables in
"/etc/default/grub" and run update-grub:

And then change the variables to suit your needs and see whether you
get the setup that you want and are able to go to a virtual terminal.