is 64 bit ready for primetime yet?

Tom Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Apr 3 18:06:42 UTC 2011

On 4/2/2011 10:30 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 04/02/2011 10:14 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
>
> /snip/
>> You won't see a difference. There really hasn't been a difference in
>> years,
>> really. Everything you list works the same, tho I have not used Vmware -
>> Virtualbox works just dandy here. Run a livecd and see, is what i
>> would do, or
>> even dual-boot for a spell if you have a spare partition. That's what
>> I did in
>> deciding on 32 vs 64 bit on my desktop, primarily a Boxee/xbmc machine.
>> Running that on 64 bit involved a lot of extra work a few years back,
>> but when
>> they started making 64bit versions, I dual-booted and saw no differences
>> performance-wise, driver-wise, or flash-wise and what was broken in
>> one was
>> broken in th other :/
>>
>> -- .
>> Clay Weber
>> http://kubuntuforums.net
>> http://flyballmaine.com
>> http://emacdogsports.com
>>
> I would think that 64-bit would have a really noticeable effect when
> you get a bunch of
> windows open, assuming you have some of the extra ram that 64-bit
> supports.  I don't
> have the option of 64-bit with this machine, and I can see it really
> bog down when I
> do that..  (AAMOF, it will only allow me 2GB or ram.)  Am I wrong?
>
> --doug

What Clay Weber said is quite accurate.  I have been running Kubuntu 64-bit
for some years now with no problem.  Some few programs are not designed for
64-bit, however, you can still run 32-bit programs.  I have no problem
running either type on my 8GB ram machine at least 5 years I can recall
for sure.
Good luck!

Tom

--
  Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")