is 64 bit ready for primetime yet?

Jon Piper jonpiper at cox.net
Sun Apr 3 10:42:11 UTC 2011

Hi All,
I have been running 64 bit since 8.10 and haven't had an significant
problems.  Flashplayer was the only issue I can recall but there was a
workaround - I don't recall what is was but it worked.

I'm using Kubuntu 10.10 on my laptop (Toshiba L655-S5157 - Intel i3-380
with 4 GIG) since I bought it a month ago -- no real issues.  Just some
nitty things that are probably issues with 10.10.  The most aggravating
is that when I go to a web page from Thunderbird (email), it loads it in
Konqueror instead of Firefox; I have reset the defaults so they all
point to Firefox but no soap. I have a desktop with 10.04 (64) that
works like a charm.  I tried 10.04 (32 & 64 bit) on this machine and
could not get ethernet or wireless going; that is why I installed
10.10.  I usually use the LTS versions until the bitter end-once going
because I don't like to change (I have been using Linux since 1997 or
1998 -- its come a long way).  When I have time, I think I will revert
back to 10.04 or maybe install 11.04 in another partition; any version
of *buntu is better than Windoz -- at least Kubuntu has no real issues
like Windoz that mess up your day.

Have fun with this adventure - it not for the faint hearted but it makes
life real interesting; being a programmer for over 30 years, I like
solving problems and helping other people solve problems.

Blessing,

Jon Piper