Question fresh install

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Thu Sep 30 21:12:33 UTC 2010

> > What else?  Any advice that will make my life easier is appreciated.
>
> AFAIK, IMHO, you need to backup the entire Home directory, hidden files
> included, in which all settings are stored.

Here is my script for backing up my PC home and /etc/:-

#! /bin/bash

# Local etc directory
rsync -av --delete /etc/ /home/dave/backups/copyoflocalslashetc/

# List of applications - this was provided by a Kubuntu list
# posting a while back. I don't understand how it works
# but it appears to work
aptitude search '~i !~M' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' '
> /home/dave/backups/AppsInstalledList.txt

tar cvpfz /root/home`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`.tar.gz --exclude=Cache
--exclude=.googleearth --exclude=.thumbnails /home/*

Just adjust the name of the home directory to suit. Can't remember
whether it's necessary to manually create the backup directory for rsync
or not.

I store the script in /home/ and run it as sudo.