Question fresh install

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 19:12:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 19:56 +0200, Valter Mura wrote:
> In data giovedì 30 settembre 2010 18:55:46, Georgi Kourtev ha scritto:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a production machine that was my first-ever 100% linux machine. I
> > started with Kubuntu 8.04 and during the past two years I have just
> > upgraded the OS and now I run with 10.04.1., KDE 4.5.1.
> >
> > All is fine but due to the fact that this was my 'first-ever-machine' with
> > linux (now my whole office with 7 PCs is with Kubuntu), I was using it to
> > experiment everything that I wanted to try.  As I am not expert, I found
> > out that after two years it started to work rather slow. For example, the
> > login takes about 1,5-2 minutes, after opening Kontact, I need to wait for
> > about 5-8 minutes for some disk-work that blocks everything, etc.
> >
> > So I decided to do a fresh install soon after 10.10 is available with /home
> > on a separate partition.  My question is what should I do to preserve all
> > my work on that machine (which is my primary office production machine)?
> > I do back-ups every week.  It is obvious that I will need to copy back all
> > files from my Documents, Pictures and all the rest visible directories
> > under /home. Also to follow some of the instruction to migrate my
> > mails/addresses/calendar entries into the new install.
> >
> > What else?  Any advice that will make my life easier is appreciated.
>
> AFAIK, IMHO, you need to backup the entire Home directory, hidden files
> included, in which all settings are stored.

Sometimes that isn't a good plan. IMHO, let the new install set it's
own .config files. THEN dink with them, if you must, one at a time,
until something blows up. Me, I have long ceased to bother with them.
Other than my .mail folder, I haven't missed anything using the
fresh .config files and seem to have less problems than most who upgrade
using them. Just my four cents. I do backup and restore my ~/home/user/
directories. Then I re-install them back, without worrying about
upsetting the new config files. Ric

Linux user# 44256