Which USB Scanners work? ADDENDUM

FarSight Data Systems msh at farsight-data.com
Wed Sep 29 11:55:11 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 29 September 2010 07:14:12 am Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 29/09/2010 16:50, Basil Chupin wrote:

> >> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku
> >>=B1

> >> silence is

> >> The SANE supported Devices page says the Perfection V300 Photo is
> >> unsupported. Is this wrong?
> >
> > Yes. I have the SANE driver installed. Fascinating....
> >
> > I go to Applications/Graphics and start XSane Image Scanner.....and I
> > get XSane 0.996 Perfection V300 driver.
> >
> > The "native" app. in Ubuntu Simple Scan supports it.
> >
> > But you would be better off going to http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/
> > to get the Linux driver for the V300 from Epson itself.
> >
> > The driver comes in 2 parts:
> >
> > esci-interpreter-gt-f720_0.0.1-2_i386.deb  and
> >
> > iscan_2.24.0-4.ltdl7_i386.deb
> >
> > Use nautilus to install these. BUT, you need to install one before you
> > can install the other - and I cannot remember which one comes first! :-)
> > . Don't worry, you will get an error message if you do it the wrong way
> > 'round :-) .
> >
> > There is also
> >
> > ImageScan.pdf
> >
> > BC
>
> I just realised that this thread is in kubuntu and not ubuntu.
>
> However, I do not see how there would be a difference in the drivers for
> V300 between ubuntu and kubuntu except perhaps that the driver may have
> the *.rpm extension and not *.deb and that you would use something else
> other than nautilus (?konqueror) to install the 2 parts.
>
> BC
>
> --
> Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence is
> called music. Chinese proverb

I appreciate your help.  Kubuntu still uses .deb and other Debian style
package management.  Not .rpm.

But, I'm looking at ordering the v300.   I saw that Epson supports, themselves
through Avasys, Linux.  Canon gave me as an excuse for not supporting Linux
the fact that people can modify the OS and would blame Canon for their
scanners no longer working as a result.  I will be actively telling people not
to buy ANY Canon product because of their deliberate non-support.

Basil, Thank you.

Mark