[OT] Re: zc3xx usb camera, what viewer?

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Sep 28 20:20:55 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 29,September,2010 02:54 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> Chuckle, and FWIW, I have admired James from afar for probably 60 years.
> He may be one of those 2.3% that it works on, he may have caught it before
> it 'got away'.

Strange, I have a feeling you're one of those who are sceptical of the
effects of chemo. (but, no, I don't think it's one of those mystical
thingies) and yes, there are reports purported to indicate the lack of
efficacy of chemo, eg..
http://www.icnr.com/articles/ischemotherapyeffective.html
http://www.latestagecancer.com/2009/12/efficacy-of-chemotherapy-beneficial-or-dubious.html

ah, the perils of disinformation on the internet, or on the ubuntu-list :)

and I understand where your 2.3% comes from. And that is why I felt it
necessary to ask you to reaccess your opinion; and yes, old farts can be
pretty obstinate.

Mathematically speaking, reporting of *median* survivor of life
extensions, as required, can be obsfuscating, that doctors and medical
researchers themselves usually do not understand (I cannot recall any
student in biology class that's good in math). A good simple read on
this might be Marilyn vos Savant's book. In plain terms, I might admit
to a (much) better than 30% chance of chemo working (and depending on
the type of cancer), and the trouble is, they haven't yet found out
which of the patients are 30% or the 70%; so better safe than sorry.

To put it much plainer (for an old fart to understand), but a bit more
risque (sorry, more sensitive folks), half the world have 2 testicles
and the other half have 2 breasts, but that doesn't mean the average
person has one testicle and one breast. (like the average family has
2.145 kids)

As I have said, chemo is now not debilitating anymore but hey, what have
you got to lose, only your life? Not worth the gamble, even for an old
man. You've got the roof to fix, remember? And I don't think you're much
smarter than your (qualified) doctor.

Sorry to hear about your eldest daughter.

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.
But hey, enjoy it while you can.