Really weird mic problem in 10.04.1

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 10:05:01 UTC 2010

This is Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.5 on a Dell Vostro 3300 laptop

For reasons of me messing up my system I had to make a clean install.
Prior to that I had the internal microphone as well as the external
mic-input working, used it in Skype now and then.

Following the reinstall with x number of upgrades and all that internal
mic is no longer working, neither is the mic-input using an external mic.

I have not messed with alsa-base.conf, I have not done anything really.
Alsactl -v reports version 1.0.22 in both cases (I still have the old as
a liveboot and mic still works when I liveboot the old install)

I can think of nothing that could prompt this behaviour. They are not
muted in alsamixer or anything such obvious.

So I ask if anyone on the list have some ideas?

Kind regards,
Sinclair