Skype test loopback pitch low problem, KUbuntu 10.04 - packages ; jor KUbuntu

giovanni_re john_re at
Sun Sep 5 23:12:47 BST 2010

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 17:26:54 +1000, "Basil Chupin"
<blchupin at> said:

> Sorry, but if you removed pulseaudio then what are you using for your
> audio?

dpkg -l | grep pulse
rc  libpulse-browse0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries (zeroconf suppor
ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
rc  pulseaudio
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio sound server
ii  vlc-plugin-pulse                     1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2
                PulseAudio plugin for VLC

dpkg -l | grep alsa
ii  alsa-base
                ALSA driver configuration files
ii  alsa-utils                           1.0.22-0ubuntu5
                ALSA utilities
ii  bluez-alsa                           4.60-0ubuntu8
                Bluetooth audio support
ii  libsdl1.2debian-alsa                 1.2.14-4ubuntu1.1
                Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA

 dpkg -l | grep oss
ii  audacity                             1.3.12-2
                A fast, cross-platform audio editor
ii  audacity-data                        1.3.12-2
                A fast, cross-platform audio editor (data)
ii  krosspython                          4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                Python module for Kross
ii  libao2                               0.8.8-5ubuntu2
                Cross Platform Audio Output Library
ii  libflac++6                           1.2.1-2build2
                Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime libr
ii  libflac8                             1.2.1-2build2
                Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C librar
ii  libieee1284-3                        0.2.11-5ubuntu3
                cross-platform library for parallel port acc
ii  libqca2-plugin-ossl                  0.1~20070904-4build1
                QCA OSSL plugin for libqca2
ii  libwavpack1                          4.60.1-1
                an audio codec (lossy and lossless) - librar
ii  libwxgtk2.8-0
                wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GT
ii  oss-compat                           0.0.4+nmu3
                OSS compatibility package

 dpkg -l | grep phon
ii  libphonon4                           4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5
                Qt 4 Phonon module
ii  phonon                               4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5
                Qt 4 Phonon module metapackage
ii  phonon-backend-xine                  4:4.4.0-0ubuntu2
                Phonon Xine 1.1.x backend

Are there any other packages worth checking for?

Desktop mobo from Asus,
Plugged simple regular mic into the mic jack on the mobo,
After trying several combinations to get the mic to work in Audacity,
I wound up on both Adacity (IIRC) & definitely on skype,
choosing for mic input:
HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog (hw:0.2)

i did _not_ select:
HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog (hw:0.0)
the only other analog input available.

In the detailed KDE mixer settings I set to max the Mic Boost, & Mic
Boost (capture).

Capture & Capture 2 had the only check box checked (at the bottom), &
had volume at max.
Inupt source was Front Mic,
Inupt source 2 was Mic.

The top "Mute" row of check boxes has everything checked except an
"audio plug" graphic labled "side" - probably an oversight that I didn't
check it.

(I'm thinking/guesing mute is for direct passthrough of input to the
output speakers.  That's not desired when using the mic for voice com.)

I'd originally installed Pulse audio because a friend, who uses the
gnome interface on ubuntu, told me that pa would make it easier (to
see?) what devices were selected for which inputs for various programs.

IIRC, a vague memory was that something worked better, perhaps.  perhaps
even skype.

But, pa isn't working properly in KU 10.04, so because of some breakage
I removed it.

So, anyone having this low voice problem with skype in ku 10.04?

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture