Skype test loopback pitch low problem, KUbuntu 10.04 - packages ; jor KUbuntu

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sun Sep 5 23:12:47 BST 2010

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 17:26:54 +1000, "Basil Chupin"
<blchupin at iinet.net.au> said:

> Sorry, but if you removed pulseaudio then what are you using for your
> audio?

dpkg -l | grep pulse
rc  libpulse-browse0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries (zeroconf suppor
ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries
rc  pulseaudio
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio sound server
ii  vlc-plugin-pulse                     1.0.6-1ubuntu1.2
                PulseAudio plugin for VLC

dpkg -l | grep alsa
ii  alsa-base                            1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3
                ALSA driver configuration files
ii  alsa-utils                           1.0.22-0ubuntu5
                ALSA utilities
ii  bluez-alsa                           4.60-0ubuntu8
                Bluetooth audio support
ii  libsdl1.2debian-alsa                 1.2.14-4ubuntu1.1
                Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA

 dpkg -l | grep oss
ii  audacity                             1.3.12-2
                A fast, cross-platform audio editor
ii  audacity-data                        1.3.12-2
                A fast, cross-platform audio editor (data)
ii  krosspython                          4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
                Python module for Kross
ii  libao2                               0.8.8-5ubuntu2
                Cross Platform Audio Output Library
ii  libflac++6                           1.2.1-2build2
                Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime libr
ii  libflac8                             1.2.1-2build2
                Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C librar
ii  libieee1284-3                        0.2.11-5ubuntu3
                cross-platform library for parallel port acc
ii  libqca2-plugin-ossl                  0.1~20070904-4build1
                QCA OSSL plugin for libqca2
ii  libwavpack1                          4.60.1-1
                an audio codec (lossy and lossless) - librar
ii  libwxgtk2.8-0                        2.8.10.1-0ubuntu1.2
                wxWidgets Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GT
ii  oss-compat                           0.0.4+nmu3
                OSS compatibility package

 dpkg -l | grep phon
ii  libphonon4                           4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5
                Qt 4 Phonon module
ii  phonon                               4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5
                Qt 4 Phonon module metapackage
ii  phonon-backend-xine                  4:4.4.0-0ubuntu2
                Phonon Xine 1.1.x backend

Are there any other packages worth checking for?

=
Hardware:
Desktop mobo from Asus,
Plugged simple regular mic into the mic jack on the mobo,
After trying several combinations to get the mic to work in Audacity,
I wound up on both Adacity (IIRC) & definitely on skype,
choosing for mic input:
HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog (hw:0.2)

i did _not_ select:
HDA ATI SB, ALC1200 Analog (hw:0.0)
the only other analog input available.

In the detailed KDE mixer settings I set to max the Mic Boost, & Mic
Boost (capture).

Capture & Capture 2 had the only check box checked (at the bottom), &
had volume at max.
Inupt source was Front Mic,
Inupt source 2 was Mic.

The top "Mute" row of check boxes has everything checked except an
"audio plug" graphic labled "side" - probably an oversight that I didn't
check it.

(I'm thinking/guesing mute is for direct passthrough of input to the
output speakers.  That's not desired when using the mic for voice com.)

=
I'd originally installed Pulse audio because a friend, who uses the
gnome interface on ubuntu, told me that pa would make it easier (to
see?) what devices were selected for which inputs for various programs.

IIRC, a vague memory was that something worked better, perhaps.  perhaps
even skype.

But, pa isn't working properly in KU 10.04, so because of some breakage
I removed it.

=

So, anyone having this low voice problem with skype in ku 10.04?

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture