Pulseaudio vs. Skype: no webcam mic

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 22:57:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 23:32, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan there is some very odd way to fix this problem but I can't remember how.
> It is something about getting Skype recording and then changing the
> input with another sound program.
>
> Found it (I think).
>
> Start up a test call in skype and when it starts recording look in the
> recording tab of the Pulse Audio Volume Control program for a setting
> that works for you. For me it was "0809 analog mono". That is the
> setting that is needed on my computer but not on the one that I
> learned the trick from. The tab is almost blank if the skype program
> is not recording at the time you look at it. Hope this works for you.
>
> BTW baby is still going strong! Thanks for the naming help.

Thanks, Douglas, I did independently figure this out as well. The
Pulseaudio volume control is called "pavucontrol" and only
running-and-producing-sound applications can be configured. From there
I could change the sound output and inputs.

And how nice it was! I was able to pair my bluetooth headset and use
it, or the webcam's internal mic, or my 3.5 banana. And I could have a
Youtube video playing through the hardware speakers while I chat on
Skype with the bluetooth headset! Amazing! This combined with the KDE
Keep-On-Top feature (just another button to add to window chrome in
KDE) to keep the video conference window on top made for a perfect
solution. I am very, very impressed. It has been a long time since
I've felt that way with a *buntu product. Kubuntu 10.10 is the first
release since 7.04 that I feel happy with.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com