kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 69, Issue 45

Brian Wootton Brian.Meg at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 30 19:35:43 UTC 2010

On 29/10/10 21:48, kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> a) That doesn't really address the mounting issue - you don't want to
> have to involve root for every mount. plugdev means you have
> permission to mount - it doesn't say anything about permissions to
> write to the file system.
> b) Try changing permissions on you average run-of-the mill FAT- or
> NTFS-on-a-stick.
>
>    --Reinhold

Of course you are right, I now get the point of the query. I have
an NTFS stick and anybody can copy/delete anything on it at any
time it's been automounted - that's very much worth remembering
for the future.
  I've already got my username in /etc/group: plugdev, I've not added
it, never been sure what plugdev did anyway.
brian