Media view/read softwares

Alan Dacey grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Wed Oct 27 22:52:14 UTC 2010

> A few questions anybody proficient may please answer.
> 1. Any simple mp3 player  available which will play only the selected song?
> 2. Any Viewer software (just like Universal viewer, xnview, irfanview)
> available, which can  view/read different formats at the same
> (audio/video/pic/txt//html/pdf),
> 3. Any combination  of file manager with multiple format viewer pane
> available

First let me say,  welcome!

Now I will try to answer your questions.

1) media player;  There are a bunch and as Basil said you can make any one of them open your music.  I find that all my music in Amorok works well, just click or drag a single file over.  If you just want to click on a music file and have it play then try VLC.  It plays all sorts of things, movies as well as music.  Take a look arund the repositories in KpackageKit until you find the one that is best for you.

2) file viewer;  I have only used Infranview a little bit in windows before I found a version of the Gimp for XP so I don't entirely get what you mean.  If you just need a preview of any of those types of files have you found the Information panel in Dolphin yet?  To see it either press F11 or click View --> Panels --> Information.  When you highlight a file you get a preview along with the finle info (as long as you have the correct codecs installed of course bu tit sounds like you already found the Medibuntu repository).  You can play a song, watch a movie, look at a picture, etc right in your file manager.  Editing them will have to be in an outside application as far as I know.

3) I think I just answered this one above :/

Hope this helps you!

Alan