configuring huawei e1550

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 18:28:17 UTC 2010

On 19/10/2010 18:02, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to configure my internet broadband key E1550 (the provider is 3) for
> internet access on my kubuntu 10.10, but I cannot set up it on my laptop
> neither on my netbook. I know the phone number to call, I know the access
> point (datacard.tre.it) but I cannot see knetworkmanager working. I know
> someone is able to run it thru kppp, that is fine for me, but I don't know how
> to configure it since I don't see any place where I have to insert the access
> point. Moreover, the program keeps saying that it is calling *99# (the
> provider number).
> Any clue?

Last time I got KPPP working proper was in 9.10 and then I did as below:

Step 1, it seems removing PIN on the sim card is a good idea as I only
 > got it working after doing so
 >
 > Step 2, after inserting the usb modem it comes up as a storage device.
 > "Eject" it
If that does not work install package usb-modeswitch that should "flip"
the usb modem from disk to modem

 > Step 3: check from shell via "dmesg" what /dev/whatever the modem gets.
 > Mine got /dev/ttyUSB0
 >
 > Step 4: I suspect wvdial will work just fine but I chose to use KPPP
 >
 > create an account called 3 (example...) and set number to dial to
 > what 3 says - *99# is most common but you can try *99***1# also
 > create a modem called 3G, set it to use /dev/ttyUSB0 (in my case) and
 > then press "query modem"
 > you should get some response
 > go into "modem commands" where you should now have commands predefined
 > set "initialization string 2" to "AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","the apn of your
provider""

 > save and then try to connect

If that does not work either try wvdial, run sudo wvdialconfig from
konsole and then change the file /etc/wvdial.conf to something like:
[Dialer Default]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","apn of 3"
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
New PPPD = yes
Phone = *99#
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Username = *
Password = *
Baud = 460800

then from konsole run "sudo wvdial" to connect.

Or try the Sakis3g script from www.sakis3g.org for a less "commandmode"
more gui approach

good luck
Sinclair